Highway Thinking

     Driving down 495 today, I zone out to Mali Music’s song, “Higher.” Shifting from lane to lane going about 75 miles an hour (don’t judge me) I realize why I enjoy driving on highways vs public streets or any road with lights. I enjoy the continuous and uninterrupted flow of driving - no braking, few pauses - as if my car is gliding across the way. However, when lights are involved, I’m forced to stop and start again, or slow down once my rhythm is reached and it interrupts what feels like my regularly scheduled program. Then I pondered about how I carry this same thinking and expectation into my walk and journey through life. How much road rage do I encounter every time I have to stop what I’m doing because God wants to detour my navigation to either turn here, slow, down, or just stop altogether. There are times when the melodious high of vibing to your favorite songs and feeling the kiss of the wind come to a halt, and you must embrace the traffic jams of life that call for your patience, your reflections, your focus. There are times when all you can do is wait and be patient for the traffic to move. Or when you come to a light - a word of truth, revelation, direction, or His presence - stop and listen to what He’s trying to show you in the wait. I thank my God that He doesn’t keep me on a beltway mode of thinking and that He brings me to places of rest and reflection. I pray to have eyes that continually see and ears to always hear, and a heart that is forever thankful. Teach me more how to rest in you…

No comments :

Post a Comment